7-Zip 17.00 beta can handle a large number of compression formats, including 7-zip, zip, cab, rar, arj, LZH, CHM, gzip, bzip2, Z, tar, cpio, rpm, deb. 7-Zip is open source software and it’s free to use.
You can install 7-zip on the following operating systems: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, 2012, 2008, 2003, 2000, NT, Linux.
Main features of 7-Zip 17.00 beta:
- High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
- Compression ratio for ZIP and GZIP formats: 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 74 languages
Changelog for 7-Zip 17.00 beta:
- ZIP unpacking code was improved.
- 7-Zip now reserves file space before writing to file (for extraction from archive). It can reduce file fragmentation.
- Some bugs were fixed. 7-Zip could crash in some cases.
- Internal changes in code.