You can safely install Rainmeter 4.0 release 2679 bèta right over top of your existing Rainmeter 3.3 or earlier installation, and nothing you have done will be lost or changed. There is no need to uninstall any earlier version of Rainmeter to use the latest version.
Important change to Rainmeter 4.0
Due to future application improvements we intend, which will require the latest version of the Direct2D / DirectWrite graphical engines:
As of Rainmeter 4.0, Windows XP and Windows Vista are no longer supported by the application.
Rainmeter 4.0 requires at least Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 and the Platform Update applied. These should have been automatically applied several years ago by Windows Update, but if you have Windows Update turned off you may need to get and apply these updates manually. Windows versions later than Windows 7 are fully supported.
If you are on Windows XP or Windows Vista, and can’t or don’t wish to upgrade, you will need to stay on the 3.3 Release version of Rainmeter.
Changes in Rainmeter 4.0 release 2679
For some stability and performance reasons, we are in the process of changing most or all of the plugins that are distributed with the Rainmeter installation from being external “plugins” to being internal “measures”. At this time, there is no need to change anything in your skin code, but do be aware that discrete .dll files for these plugins will no longer exist in your Rainmeter Plugins folder. As of this writing, the following plugins have been turned into measures:
Rainmeter 4.0 release 2679
- Added Shape meter: Draws shapes using Vector graphics. Rectangle and Combine shapes, as well as all Attribute and Transform modifiers implemented in this first beta. See the documentation at: Shape Meter, and other details and examples at Change Announcements.
- Changed String meter: Changed the number of degrees of angle in InlineSetting Gradients to allow fractional numbers. (e.g. 45.5).
- Fixed About dialog: Corrected an issue where tabs were not being correctly displayed in the Log and Skins panels.
- Fixed RunCommand plugin: Corrected a rare issue when the command is run by OnCloseAction, where Rainmeter would unexpectedly terminate and the command not execute.
- Changed Language: Updated the Polish language.
- Fixed Lua scripting: Corrected an issue in r2620 that could cause Lua to crash Rainmeter in rare cases.